Business901 Book Specials from other authors on Amazon

Friday, December 5, 2008

Building Blocks

Great article from fellow Duct tape Marketing Coach Bill Brelsford:

Building Blocks Referrals - Give Them to Get Them

Do you struggle to ask for referrals on a consistent basis?

Many of the professional service providers that I meet feel uncomfortable asking for referrals on a regular basis. They may feel it is not “professional”. Some feel they will be perceived as a nuisance.

If you happen to be one of these people who doesn’t feel comfortable asking for referrals, here is a tip that may help. Set goals related to giving referrals.

For example, I have a goal of giving 5 referrals a week. That’s just one referral a day. This modest goal helps me with my own referrals in a number of ways:

  1. It forces me to get out from my office or behind the desk and talk to people. This can sometimes be a challenge for us technically oriented folks.
  2. It helps me be a better listener. I am more engaged in the conversation, listening for ways I may be able to help the person I’m talking to.
  3. I’ve become better at describing who is an ideal prospect for my business. When you are able to help someone, most people want to reciprocate. They ask how they can help you. By learning to be very specific in my description of who I am looking for, I make it easy for them to help me if they can.
  4. I can talk to the same people, frequently, about referrals and how I may be able to help them without feeling I am being a nuisance.
  5. More often than not, I end up meeting a new contact when the person I am visiting with thinks of “someone I should meet”.

So if you struggle with asking for referrals, change your focus and set some concrete goals for giving referrals.

No comments: